Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Everything old is new again [ABOG]

I relish old computer books.

※※※

What's amusing is all the stuff like google's word recognition & other AI "innovations", they've been dreamed up in the 70's.
I love finding very old technical manuals and books, especially the ones which get into the logical dissection of a complex problem, AND provided it either

uses BASIC dialect
uses pseudo code that's not directly linked to APL, which looks like gibberish to me
is well explained

because you can learn essential algo's & tricks, if you just absorb what they are saying.
I was going over hashing and table collision stuff in really old computer science textbooks, and taking scores of notes.
Sadly, my psycho ex girlfriend got every one of those notebooks.  Karma will bite you in the ass <explicative>.
I did however ingrain the basic concept in my head.  I also have most of the original books that the notes on THAT particular subject was on.

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

Those old computer books should not only collect dust, but you should put on a white glove & wipe the dust off a few titles once in awhile.  You'll find gold nuggets tucked away in the coal mines of ancient computer technology.

※※※ ~ * insert funny Futurama joke here *



~Kiyote!

No comments:

Post a Comment