Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Recent Events [tech demo of NES sprite chip demystified]

The scattered notes about dealing with bipolar are becoming very clear to me now.
The last time I had to relate self-help information, everything came out in one sitting.

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

I've had a lead artist for ABOGames  for awhile now, since middle of last year.
I have since added someone on an equal skill level, to be my lead pixel artist.

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

The rapid development tool that I've been working on for 3 years now, has reached critical mass.  It is now succinct and robust enough to turn a 2 hour grueling process into a 5 minute job.
The fact that the binary language, as well as common high school algebra intrigues me so much, I have dissected various video game platforms in my mind, over and over until their secrets lay flat and open to me, as if I was dissecting a lab animal.

※※※

The way in which the classic NES, the 8-bit 6502 powered iteration, not any other, handles sprites, it effortlessly gives the platform objects which lie in front of and behind the player MOB (Moveable OBject).
Since the hardware was originated around the same time, I figured the answer lie between the connection of an MCGA graphics hierchetype, and the graphics chip in the NES.
I was correct.

※※※

Using 256 colors, a method of making striped lines through an indexed palette of colors lets the user draw sprites on the screen with colors using one nibble, and colors of the other nibble.

A hex number with two digits is &HFF.  One nibble is either the LEFT "F", or the RIGHT "F".

As long as you choose colors such as

&H00, &H01 .. .. &H0F

  and

&H00, &H10 .. .. &HF0

you can plainly see the combined colors will overlap but not interact with each other.
In the rest of the indexed palette, making horizontal or vertical stripes radiating from the upper or leftmost indexes, if in a matrix 16x16 or 256 colors, you will end up with colors that can either appear on top of, or appear to be behind, other colors.



~Kiyote!

More technical details as well as pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment